Sunday, November 4, 2018

My favourite places in NYC

Although I had already been to New York twice before we found so many new places to go in our most recent visit. The new places we discovered quickly became some of my favourites. In this post I am going to be telling you all the best places to visit from my most recent trip and my older trips.

Number 1

We visited Williamsburg on our most recent trip in October and it is one of the best places I have been to in New York and it is definitely a favourite. It has an abundance of quirky little shops, trendy cafes and flea markets and the buildings are much smaller in Williamsburg which gives it a homely and friendly feel.


Everything feels slower compared to the constant on-the-go attitude in Manhattan which I really enjoyed. The streets are quieter and smaller but still have a good energy about them with outside cafes, parks and hundreds of dogs! Manhattan can often feel cold (it is a concrete jungle after all) but Williamsburg is the complete opposite, the buildings are quirky and so are the people. The art scene here is amazing with art everywhere you turn, which make for great Instagram photos! 


One of the best parts of Williamsburg is the water front and the view Manhattan, I have lived by the sea my entire life and can often feel enclosed if I am not near the sea so this was a great escape for me. The waterfront was full of people walking their dogs and having picnics, it was really peaceful and it is definitely one of my favourite places to go. 


Number 2

The Rockefeller Centre has always been one of my favourite locations ever since our first trip, it's where the iconic Christmas tree is located so how can you not love it?! The views are some of the best in New York as you can see all of Central Park, the Empire State Building and all the way down to the World Trade Centre. 



I recommend going to the top of the rock on a sunny day to get the best views and sunset or sunrise are definitely a great time to go as the city looks beautiful. A tip is to get your ticket the day before you want to go as you then have a guaranteed time slot and won't miss your photo opportunities. The deck at the top is lovely and I could spend hours there just watching. 




There are also great shops in the Rockefeller building on the ground floor including a very necessary Starbucks! The outside area where the ice skating is located has all the flags of the world and a seating area which makes it a great people watching spot and watch the ice skaters in the winter. 

Number 3 

The World Trade Centre and the 9/11 memorial despite its devastating past is definitely a place you have to visit and is definitely one of my favourite places. The 9/11 memorial is a great place to reflect and although it's in the middle of the busy financial district it is so peaceful and surrounded by nature. 

Going to the top of the World Trade Centre is something I highly recommend you do, the views are incredible and you feel so high up! On our trip in October we visited the 9/11 Memorial and Museum and I am so glad we did, it is extremely hard hitting and emotional but also really informative and a lovely way to remember those affected by the tragedy. 

On our trip in October the Westfield World Trade Centre had opened, it really is an amazing building which brings a modern twist to the area. There are great shops and eating places located inside and the recently opened World Trade Centre Cortlandt subway station that was destroyed in the 9/11 attacks which is a great central station which we used multiple times. 


Number 4

Bryant Park is a 5 minute walk from our hotel and it is where we spent every morning with a breakfast from Jamba Juice (check out what I had for breakfast on my last blog here). It is the best way to start a morning, this park is beautiful it has so many trees and places to sit and you can watch people doing yoga and exercise classes on the green or we saw a hairdresser doing a hair dye tutorial which was so cool. 


There are so many seating areas to read your book, get your laptop out or just people watch. People play chess and table tennis and there multiple cafes to get coffee and waffles! I love the buildings that surround this park but I also love being able to see the sky and take a minute to breathe. The library is literally right next door and Times Square is just round the corner so it is perfectly located.

Number 5

Lastly, we have Brooklyn. I love you Brooklyn, you are the best, the atmosphere there is so fun, I love the buildings, cobbled streets and looking at the view off the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan. The waterfront is one of my favourite places and the parks along the waterfronts are lovely. With so many different things to look at in Brooklyn you can never get bored. 


One of the best instagram shots is in Brooklyn in the famous DUMBO and when we arrived there were so many people trying to get the perfect shot with the bridge behind. I also love DUMBO for its more industrial feel and very similar to Williamsburg it has quirky shops and cafes. To get over to Brooklyn I recommend either getting the subway or getting the boat which is what we did, you pick up the boat from East 34th Street in Manhattan and it then goes to Williamsburg and Brooklyn and back. This way is really convenient and you get a great view of the city and Brooklyn. 




Thank you for reading and I will be back soon with another post!

Lots of love, Alice x 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig