Sunday, January 20, 2019

Vegan Apple Pie

If you read my last blog post you will know that I am trying to cook one new recipe a week and last week I attempted a vegan apple pie and I must say it didn't turn out too bad!
I got the recipe from my the BOSH cookbook (currently only £8 on Amazon!). It was so simple and easy to follow and did not require much time so perfect for any busy bee's out there. It was the perfect treat to have on a Saturday night with some creamy Oatly single cream and it could also be made to impress your family and friends at a dinner party!

For this recipe I used the following ingredients:

- Asda's Ready Rolled Shortcrust Pastry
- Granny Smith Apples and Red Apples (not sure on exact measurements, used 3 large bags though!)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- OPTIONAL, Oatly Single Cream to serve

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Roll out your pastry wider than your dish and lay your dish at one end of the pastry and cut around the base, this will be your lid.
3. Lay the rest of the pastry in your dish and press it into the edges and all the way up the sides (make sure there are no cracks or trapped air!).
4. Put your dish and pastry lid in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. Peel and core your apples and roughly cut them into 1cm chunks. Put in a large bowl and squeeze over the lemon. Add the caster sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, flour and salt and mix.
6. Spread the apple mixture evenly into the chilled pie base and the lay the lid on top and crimp the edges.
7. Put your pie in the oven for 40 minutes and then take it out the oven to brush the top with the almond milk (or any other plant-based milk) and sprinkle with brown sugar. Put the pie back in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until crisp and golden.
8. Take the pie out of the oven and leave to cool. The serve with the Oatly single cream!


For those of you who have undertaken the Veganuary challenge this would be a perfect treat for you and I highly recommend trying the Oatly Single Cream (they sell it in most supermarkets) it's much healthier for you than normal cream and tastes just as good. This is also great recipe for my fellow vegans who just want to try something new, also if you make this for your friends don't tell them it's vegan because I bet they would never know the difference!


I am also going to be looking into getting a camera to take better photos of my food for my foodie blog posts and also life in general I want to take more photos on a camera rather than on my phone. 

I will be posting new recipes every Sunday so keep a look out for those!

Thanks for reading, 

Alice xx

Twitter: @alicejalley
Instagram: @alicejalley
Pinterest: @alicejalley

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig